January 18, 2007

Kitchen Booth

I've always wanted an eat-in kitchen and especially a booth if possible. It was a tight fit, but we managed to squeeze one in!

I had a surprisingly difficult time finding good pictures and advice on dimensions, but I ended up finding this picture and some great advice in one of Sarah Susanka's Not So Big House books.
And then I found this picture on a blog, which was extremely helpful, but unfortunately I have no idea what blog it was.
So I drew up these plans for the contractor, and everything worked out beautifully.
(Click on these links to view full-size drawings of the end view, side view, and top view.)

First they created a frame with 2x4s.
Then added plywood.
Stained the wood to match the cabinets.
Built a post and added a piece of wood to the wall to support the table top.
The finished booth:
We eat all of our meals here, and the kids love sitting here to color and work on craft projects. It's been a big hit in our family! And when the kids have friends over they usually end up squeezing 3 in on each side.

5 comments:

AR said...

Blog surfing and stumbled on your blog.

Love what you are doing to your home. We to have a bungalow style home. I would love to see pics of your upstairs, we are wanting to add up to our home. As much as I dread, but we are so outgrowing our home. Any ideas would be so helpful.

betsyB said...

I am building a booth in my 1959 kitchen and would love a higher resolution of your hand drawing so that I could see how high the table is from the seating bench and what the angle on the back of the bench is. You did such a great job I hope you will consider it for all the folks like me who can't draw worth a darn. Our framers will thank you!

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the kitchen booth!! I have Susan Susanka's books and I adore them. I have a degree in interior design, so the remodel is a blast to look at! Lookin' good!!

Laurie Brown said...

I had your booth's built! Being installed tomorrow! How did you complete the post?

Sara Tams said...

Hi Laurie, the post is two 2x4s (or something similar) held together and screwed into the floor using a brace or something (I'm not sure what you'd call it, but you can see it in one of the pictures), and then the whole thing was covered with plywood and trim and stained.